My sweet little baby, who has always been in the 98th percentile in growth for height and weight, who was constantly eating day or night; suddenly refused to breastfeed during the day. Often he would even scream as I would lay him into his typical cradle-hold. The weirdest part was at night, or directly before or after a nap, he would nurse as if nothing had changed. Any chance I got, I researched what could be causing this.
The possible causes of such behavior included:
- He was teething, and sucking hurts his gums
- Showing a preference for bottle, because of improper bottle-feeding
- Ear infection causing pain when he lays down
- Because of his age he's suddenly aware of a lot more, thus distracting him from eating
- Gassy baby from my diet, or in general